Posted by Dory @ Lucky Dorito on Saturday, February 6th, 2010
My husband, (the incomparable Mr. Lucky Dorito) and I share February as our birthday months. Today, that sweet man of mine celebrates his 42nd birthday.
I consider myself to be quite blessed in my marriage – the Lord sent the perfect match for me in my direction at a time when I was, luckily, old enough and wise enough to realize it. Oh don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t as blissful as it is now – we went through a rough patch or two since we said our “I do’s” but we managed to weather each storm with a greater love and mutual respect than before.
In celebration and honor of his birthday, I thought I would continue with an updated list from last year of some things about him that I love and admire (or merely tolerate) with you.
1. He is a wonderful father, very patient and understanding. I tell him often that he is a better father than I am a mother. (He rolls his eyes at me when I say this.)
2. He puts on cologne in the morning because he knows it makes me swoon – not because he particularly likes wearing it.
3. He irons all the clothes that need to be ironed. (Gotta love the sight of a man standing at the ironing board. Yeah baby!)
4. He often cleans the kitchen after I cook dinner. (Another beautiful site – a man doing dishes!)
5. He is careful and cautious in most things – which nicely balances out my “leap before looking” tendencies.
6. He is kind-hearted and sincere, an admirable characteristic that I adore.
7. He can make me laugh like no one else can.
8. He genuinely cares about his patients, friends, and family.
9. He is strong-willed and not afraid to stand up to anyone that tries to walk all over him.
10. He folds laundry meticulously but kinda sucks at separating it. (He’s always mixing my clothes up with the girls and vice-versa.)
11. He is quick to tell the girls how proud he is over things they do. They bask in his attention and love.
12. He can pull me close in a hug that has me melting in his arms.
13. He can pack a car (or van) so carefully, eying the size of each item and tucking it into the perfect spot, that you’d be amazed with the amount of stuff we can travel with!
14. He is what I call a *multiple-pile person*. Meaning he has stacks and stacks of stuff saved to *go through* later. (And *later* never seems to come!)
15. He is usually very thoughtful and considerate, sometimes… surprisingly so.
16. He is way too much of a gentleman to ever rib me about passing gas in my sleep. (Not that I do that. Ahem.)
17. He holds my hand at the movies, while riding in the car, when walking together. Basically, all the time. It’s fabulous.
18. He is always trying to teach the girls about attention-to-detail. (So not my thing.)
19. He doesn’t like to text but is willing to learn. For me.
20. He tells me he loves me every day.
21. He leaves sock-fuzzies in the floor all the time. Sheesh.
22. He has this adorable patch of grey hair on his head that I love. Very sexy.
23. He has probably not read one entire book since we’ve been married. Or ever, maybe.
24. He swears by GNC vitamins like they hung the moon.
25. He sleeps kinda diagonal in our king-size bed so that his feet are close enough for me to be able to touch.
26. He never EVER drinks coffee.
27. He thinks the greatest Christmas gift he ever got was the Ice Tea Maker because it is practical and he uses it ALL THE TIME.
28. He is willing to go to the beach with me, year after year, even though he doesn’t love it like I do.
29. He has a really great eye for photography.
30. And he likes to take pictures of EVERYthing, to record for posterity sake. Which he seldom gets a chance to do anymore since I’m constantly beating him to it!
31. He can sleep til 10am on the weekends without a problem. (Even later if I’d let him!)
32. He makes the BEST breakfast when we are home on Saturday mornings (or brunch, it would be… since it’s usually 11 before he cooks).
33. He’s not afraid of a little mold.
34. He can single-handedly rid our home of unwanted creatures.
35. He has fabulous hands… and he’s not afraid to use them. (He gives the BEST massages!)
36. He quite possibly could win a gold medal for *Most time spent on the toilet* if there was such an event.
37. He has perfected the art of angling the bathroom door just right so that the mirror reflects the image from the bedroom tv. (Sorry honey, your secret is out!)
38. He is the most serious individual. (Inside joke…. he really isn’t)
39. He is confident but not arrogant.
40. He loves sports and all things manly – but he is not afraid to watch a chick-flick with me and even shed a tear or two.
41. He believes in me…. and is my biggest cheerleader and supporter.
42. He is a hard worker, putting in countless hours on nights and weekends (after working full time) to complete the doctoral program in Physical Therapy. He is officially DONE and will walk the line at graduation in May. I am proud of him! Yeahhhhhh, Dr. Lucky!!